The South Carolina Legislative Act 369 created the St. John's Fire District in April of 1959. The District is comprised of four barrier islands (Johns Island, Kiawah, Seabrook and Wadmalaw) and serves a population of over 50,000 people. The district currently has seven fully staffed fire stations; three stations on John's Island, two stations on Kiawah, one on Seabrook Island and one on Wadmalaw. The district has six front line pumpers, two aerial apparatus, one rescue pumper, one tender, and a marine vessel.
The St. John's Fire District currently employs 140 personnel of which 123 are fire suppression certified. The district utilizes a three shift rotation providing emergency services twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Minimum daily staffing is 33 fire suppression rated personnel and one Battalion Chief to perform all emergency services and maintain the daily operations through the district.
The St. John's Fire District is made up of a group of dedicated men and women striving to improve the level of life and fire safety to the residents and guests of our community and is constantly seeking ways to improve on the standards set forth by the Federal, State and local Governments as well as National Consensus Standards.